Friday, May 28, 2010

Day 119 254.8 lbs

Well shoot.  Another week at 254 lbs.  That's a little disappointing as I did get back on track this week with the eating and I thought I'd  at least get to 253 (and I was hoping for 252).  However, the two things I could not do this week that I was doing in the past is I could not ride my bike (due to my knee, but it is getting better - more about that below) and I never did manage an all day fast.  I thought about (and tried a couple of times) not eating for a day, but instead listened to my body when it told me I needed to eat.  And since it took me a few weeks early on to manage an all day fast I suppose it isn't unreasonable that my body may need a couple of weeks of eating low carb again before its able to try again.  And, admittedly, I haven't been able to stick to an 8 hour eating window every day this week.  (Again, because I was listening to what my body needed.)  So hopefully, now that I've got the hunger back under control (and I'm not really sure how I did it exactly, just started eating more fat and protein and less carbs and turned it around in a day) this next week will do better.  I'm just really wanting to lose down to 252 by Monday which is the last day of May so that I will have lost 40 lbs in 4 months.  Sigh.

But other than the scale not showing any weight loss I continue to feel like my body is changing.  The new size 20 jeans that I bought now fit comfortably so I finally moved the size 22 jeans out of the closet.  (I started this at size 24 so that's 2 pant sizes down.  Woo hoo!)  I also bought smaller underwear.  All my old tops fit looser - not so snug at the chest anymore and I'm still getting compliments on how much smaller I look - even from people who see me frequently.  All this even though I techniquely haven't lost any weight in 3 weeks.  I don't really understand how that can be (and yes, I do know that as body composition changes your weight on the scale won't necessarily change) because the one measurement that I did take (around my stomach) hasn't changed in a couple of months.  I started out at 50 inches and it's still at 46 inches.  But that is one of the mysteries of weight loss so I'm just going to go with it and not sweat the lack of progress on the scale ... just yet.

I have done two treatments on my knee with the radio frequency machine at the clinic and the overnight improvement was truely unbelievable.  The feeling of tightness and swelling decreased tremendously and I was able to bend my knee farther - or at least that's how it felt.  And it really felt a lot stronger - almost to the point where I wanted to run up the stairs.  And the discomfort at the front of the knee really dropped as well.  It isn't 100% but it feels very close to the same as my left knee which causes me no problems at all.  I now have visions of being able to get back on the bike before the end of June.  Hopefully I can force myself to ease back into it slowly.

I also started using the new whole body vibration (WBV) machine we got at the clinic to quick start my strength training so I can get my legs and core stronger which will help with the bike riding (among other things).  I can feel my abdominal muscles as I lay here typing this (as well as my hamstrings and quads now that I'm paying attention).  And I can already tell that I'm using those muscles more now to get me up stairs or to sit down in a chair and get up from one.  All these changes make me happy and make me feel like I'm making progress so I will continue to do the WBV as many days a week as I can manage as it will also bring increased circulation to my knee and help it to heal that much faster.  I'm anxious to get it healed so I can finally start sprinting as that can increase fat burning up to 9 times so I'm counting on that to get my weight loss back closer to the 2 1/2 pounds a week.  All I can do is try and then wait and see.

I just reread the post prior to this one and realized I needed to say something about the ketosis.  I did buy the Ketostix and test my urine and it was always negative for ketones, so my theory that it was ketosis that had controlled my hunger didn't pan out because I do have my hunger back under control again despite not showing the ketones.  So what could account for the decreased hunger?  My next best guess is that my eating fewer carbs has restabilized my blood sugar so that it appears, for me at least, that blood sugar drops cause my hunger more than anything else.  It's amazing to me really.  That that had that much affect on me all these years.  If I'd only eaten more fat all these years I would have gotten the weight under control long ago.  (What does fat have to do with it you ask?  Because protein ratios really don't change much in actual practice.  It usually stays about 30% of calories, so that only leaves carbs and fat to play around with.  If you decrease your carb percentage, your fat percentage should naturally increase (unless everyone and their brother is shouting that fat is bad so you keep it low and end up mostly eating carbs and protein both of which stimulate insulin release and your back on the blood sugar roller coaster - makes me mad just thinking about it).

One last note, I didn't make meatloaf hamburgers as I didn't have the time so I just made the regular meatloaf which turned out pretty good.  Maybe a little too salty and a little too much tomato paste/ketchup, but man I love the stuff.  Yummm.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Julie...keep at it and you will hit your goal. Reading thru your blog I noticed that you suffer from inflamation in some of your joints. I used to have soar ankles due to several torn ligaments in my ankles when I was young. But now I have a daily routine of Chia Fresca (Chia 1Tbsp seeds with Raw Honey large tsp, Braggs Apple Cider Vineger, and lemon or lime.) Works wonders! And it taste great too! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement and the comment. My dumb right knee is my biggest inflammation problem right now. That is an interesting combination of ingredients and it makes me wonder how that combination works to reduce inflammation since humans aren't really adapted to eating seeds. I would have thought that chia seeds would increase inflammation not the other way around. If you know why I would really like to know. Thanks again for leaving a comment. It is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete