Friday, April 9, 2010

Day 70 265 lbs

Down just a pound this week for a total weight loss of 27 lbs, but I'm not surprised.  With Bev here I ate more than I usually do, but I also exercised more than I ever have so between the two I'm ok with the one pound weight loss.  I like to think that I gained at least a pound of muscle this week.  Is that possible?  I don't know.  I tried to Google an answer, but didn't find one for my situation.  One would think that if it is possible to gain a pound of muscle in a week it would be someone like me who hadn't exercised in years.

I have continued to gain strength, flexibility and balance in what seems to me like leaps and bounds.  For example, in less than a week, I went from riding my bike 8 miles using mostly the 4th, 5th, and 6th gears then stopping to rest for at least 30 minutes before doing another 8 miles to going the whole 16 miles without stopping and in 7th gear the whole way with almost no burning sensation in my legs.  And I could have done more, a lot more, but the rain moved in and forced me to stop.  So again, I only got in 2 days of biking this week, but they were really good days.

And the good news continues.  My right side is almost totally back to normal now.  The rolfing made a huge difference in the right hip area and gradually my whole right side has continued to improve throughout the week.  I saw both my chiropractor and rolfer again 2 days ago.  They both beat me up pretty good and I'm still sore, but I feel almost no discomfort in that right side now.  My knee has just a hint of weakness most of the time but I feel even that will have completely resolved in the next week or two.  And I've only had time to take one walk but I was able to do it with very little discomfort in my right side and it didn't last long once the
walk was over.  And because I can now exercise whenever I want without pain, I'm now finally relaxing and just enjoying the process.  Yeah I would like to have already lost a hundred pounds but my life has changed so much, become so much more interesting and varied that I really can't complain.

I've continued to progress with the Intu-Flow.  My balance and strength are so much better now.  When I do the leg range of motion I can lift my legs up higher and hold them up for longer without falling over.  I'm getting close to the point where I can advance to the next level.  Even my arm strength has improved to the point that getting my bike on and off the bike rack is a lot easier.  I can no lift the bike like it weighs nothing.  How cool is that?  I also ordered Scott's Prasara Yoga DVD and plan to start that sometime this week hopefully.  It hasn't arrived yet though.

I also was able to successfully do a couple of sprints on the rebounder this week without hurting anything.  This is most exciting because it means I can now do sprints here at home so, hopefully, will be able to get them in 3 times a week now.  I'm still trying to fit all this into my schedule.  I admit it's all a little difficult to keep up with what with trying to do the food, weekly chiro and rolfing appointments, bike riding, walking, Intu-Flow, body weight exercises and sprinting.  But it's ok.  It's all a work in progress and I really don't feel any pressure to be perfect.  It's all fun right now and I plan to keep it that way.

As for the food, Bev has given me a few new ideas on that.  She made an Italian minestrone type soup only without the beans and pasta that was quite good and worth making again.  She also made both and egg and tuna salad both of which have possibilities but need to be tweaked a little to add some more flavor.  And I did eat a little of the egg salad to test how the rash on my legs would react.  As far as I could tell it didn't react at all.  The rash is completely healed now except for some faint discoloration in the areas where the rash used to be.  It isn't fooling me though.  I know it is hiding out just below the surface ready to reemerge at a moment's notice.  It's going to take a while to really heal it all the way but I don't care at this point.  After more than a year just to have normal looking legs again and to not have to use gallons of hydrocortisone cream is amazing.

Hmmm, what else? 

Well, the sunburn thing is still interesting.  The next time I went out on my bike, I wore a tank top like shirt so exposed more of my upper arm and shoulder than I normaly do and they did turn pink, but not as pink as they would have usually for the amount of time I was in the sun and it didn't hurt either.  Which was kind of weird and still made me feel like I had alien skin.  I did try googling why again and again didn't come up with any definitive answers, but did run across and interesting blog entry from a raw foodist who noted the same effect after switching to a raw food diet.  He attributed the protection from sunburn to cutting out meat and cooked food, which of course it couldn't be because I too have the protection and eat both meat and cooked foods daily.  I'm left thinking that it probably has something to do with the carbohydrates.  Something to do with less inflammation or sugar carmelizing.

I also think I'm going to have to go out and buy a pair of size 20 jeans this week.  The old pair of 22s that I've been wearing are kind of baggy and have the holes in them on the inside of the thighs that keep getting bigger.  I'm both excited and nervous about trying to go down another pant size.  I'll be dissapointed if 20 doesn't fit, but oh well, I'll get over it and just try again in another week.

I'm sure there is more I could tell but just can't think of at the moment.  All in all another great week.  I love all this momentum especially after how slow things seemed to go back at the start of this.  Yay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment