Saturday, February 6, 2010

Day 8

Had a busy day with hospice today. Didn't get to eat breakfast until 10 AM and then all I had with me was a hard boiled egg. (Actually, I had a piece of sausage from Whole Foods with me as well. Thought I'd give it another shot, but no, don't like it.)

I didn't get home to get lunch until 2 PM. I made my Pina Colada Smoothie (vanilla protein powder, coconut milk, frozen pineapple). Yummm.

Then no time for dinner after that until 8:30 PM. No time for anything fancy. I heated up a big plate of the meatloaf. Almost too much. Next time (which will probably be tonight as I have nothing else prepared) I'll put on less. I'll have time to add a salad tonight and I've taken the rest of the week off, starting at 8PM so I can continue my 'staycation'.

The best part of the day was how well I did without eating. Usually, when I try a new diet, I feel pretty well until the first day I have to go back to work and then I feel weak and woozy and cravings hit the roof. I had none of that today. In fact, I felt the strongest I'd felt since I started this last Saturday and I had no problem at all going that long between meals. I know I've said it before, but not to be controlled by food is such freedom. A HUGH weight off of my shoulders.

And NO need for any glutamine again today. I think I'm through the transition now and my body has learned to use fat and not glucose. And I was so scared that the transition would be so hard. Wish I would have known. It would have saved me a lot of stress, but I'm just glad it was that easy. I wish more people who try to go Primal/Paleo knew about this trick.

I know for me, that the carb cravings have always derailed any attempts at changing my diet. Despite all of my reading and research, it wasn't until I found the info on Primal that I understood what was happening physiologically. Once I knew, it was easy to do some Googling and find some ideas on how to deal with it. Luckily, all I needed was the glutamine. I think the Gymnema would have worked, but man did it taste bad. Glad I didn't have to use it.

And even though I did have some irritability, which seems to be gone now, I didn't end up needing the tryptophan. The depression has also always been one of my major stumbling blocks whenever I tried to change the diet. I'm not sure why that transitioned so easily this time. I'm sure it must have something to do with the glutamine feeding my brain when I needed it. Somehow that must have prevented my serotonin production from crashing.

No comments:

Post a Comment