Saturday, February 13, 2010

Day 15

10 AM

I am so ecstatically happy, elated, overjoyed at the moment that I even made up a little ditty that I'm singing to myself:

"I'ma lose weight. I'ma lose weight. Woo woo woo woo I'ma lose weight. Ooooooh yeah!"

Ok, so I'm crazy. I don't care. I'm so happy and since there isn't one single person that I know that I could call at this moment that would understand and/or believe me, I will just have to say it in my blog. Thank god I have this blog.

So what happened one might ask? Nothing out of the ordinary. It's just that last night and this morning I got to Chapters 22 & 23 in Gary Taubes' book, 'Good Calories, Bad Calories', on how fat and carbohydrate metabolism works. (Well, actually, info on fat and carboydrate metabolism is spread throughout the book, but the info in these two chapters in particular really got to me.)

Then, at some point while reading Taubes last night, it triggered a need for more info on intermitten fasting so I was on the web reading posts on intermittent fasting on three of the Paleo/Primal blogs I follow. Then it struck me that not only would intermittent fasting help with weight loss, improve health, possibly help with living longer, that it would also more than likely speed up the process of healing my leaky gut! Win win win win win!

So, without going into a lot of detail on intermittent fasting (IF) which is explained better elsewhere, I decided to give it a go today. My plan is to eat only lunch and dinner with lunch being the super-delicious turkey pancake burger and dinner is to be two fried eggs with sausage and/or bacon. I chose the burger for lunch as it is such a big burger (1/3 lb) that it keeps me full for a long time and I chose the eggs for dinner as it isn't such a big meal but my experience with eggs since going Primal (fried eggs in particular) is that they leave me satiated almost to the point of slight nausea. A good thing when one is considering not eating after 6 or 7 PM.

But what really made me ecstatic this morning was when I attempted to put my plan of IF into action, I found myself hungry, stomach growling and feeling a little light headed before 9 AM. The solution? Why glutamine under the tongue of course! It worked for me in the beginning of going Primal to get my brain through the transition. Why not use it for those same symptoms when IFing.

And it worked beautifully! And then the clouds parted and the sun shined as I realized what that meant.

  1. I would be successful at losing weight.
  2. I wouldn't have to worry about how much eating Primal would cost me since I could get by on less expensive meats (ground meats) as well as not needing a lot of vegetables (but I haven't talked about that yet).
  3. I wouldn't have to spend so damn much time planning, cooking, preparing food for when I work hospice. If I'm out for 20 hours making visits and I don't have any food, no worries as long as I have some glutamine with me.
  4. It would simplify my life tremendously!

11 PM

It's been a great day. I had my turkey pancake burger at noon. (Although I have to admit that the warmed up leftover paleo pancakes weren't as good as the freshly made ones yesterday.) It wasn't quite as delicious as yesterday and actually somewhat bigger than I wanted to eat. But I did realize that I could add bacon to it or, if I got really ambitious, paleo onion rings.

By 3:30 PM I was getting a little hungry so I made another peach protein shake and this was definately just as delicious as it was yesterday. Unfortunately, I used the last of my locally grown peaches. Will just have to make do on organic frozen if I can find them.

At 5:30 PM I went downstairs to fry up some bacon and eggs. It took a while to fry the whole package of bacon so it was 6:15 PM before I sat down to eat. (Don't ask how many slices of bacon I ate - although it wasn't the whole package.)

So that was it. It was all very tasty and filling and satisfying. And once again about 1-2 hours after eating the eggs I was so un-hungry it was ridiculous. I just read about that today in Taubes' book about how it is possible for the body to actively suppress the appetite. For whatever reason, the fried eggs sure do it for me. That's why I thought it would be the perfect meal to have at the end of the day to try to circumvent all those night time cravings. Worked like a charm tonight.

I also decided after doing some further reading today, to do 5 grams of glutamine first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Add to the list of benefits that it can increase growth hormone production especially when taken before bed. I'm still really excited about all the tweaks I have learned in the last two days. They are making my life immensely easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment