Friday, February 12, 2010

Day 14 285.0 lbs

8:30 AM

Today is the end of week 2 and my weight is basically unchanged from this time last week. Not that I'm surprised considering the difficulties I've had this past week, but it's onward and upward.

I'm actually really upbeat this morning. Last night I ran across a couple of new blogs and in one (Feasting on Fitness) I found a recipe for some nut flour bread that I'm definately going to make today because I've really missed hamburgers and haven't been able to wrap my mind around eating them without the bun. Now maybe I don't have too. I don't need much of a bun. Just something to let me pick up the burger and hold it and I'll be happy. So we'll see how it goes. Next stop - maybe a tortilla?!

Then on another blog (Primal Wisdom) I read an article on how he usually just eats 2 meals a day - breakfast, dinner - within a 6 to 8 hour window and then fasts the rest of the time. This really appeals to me because the few meals I have to worry about, the happier I'll be. I wonder if I can become an airtarian? NO COOKING!

3 PM

I just ate the most delicious hamburger of my life! I ended up making a basic paleo pancake recipe and using 2 for the bun. The burger was high fat turkey burger mixed with a can of green chilis fried in bacon grease. That, plus some raw goat cheddar cheese and a little bit of organic ketchup and I was in cheese burger heaven!!

Pancake recipe (modified to make it savory): 1/2 cup almond flour, 1/2 cup coconut flour, 2 eggs, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp cream of tartar. Mix together and add enough water to make it pancake batter consistency. Melt bacon grease in a cast iron skillet and procede to cook just like a pancake.

This was enough to make six bun-size pancakes (so enough for 3 burgers). They were greasy, a little crunchy around the edges and just savory enough. Had kind of a cornmeal texture and were a little crumbly, but oh so delicious so that even if I never tried to tweak the recipe it they would be ok.

Some tweaks I would like to try is to use less almond flour (although 1/2 cup spread out over 3 burgers is only 1/8th of a cup per burger) and not quite so crumbly. I would like to see if I can add some cauliflower mash to cut down on the flour more. I don't see why not. In fact, now that I think about it, why not try making a cauliflower pancake or a zuccinni pancake just like you would a potato pancake? Yummm. Making my mouthwater just thinking about it.

10 PM

What a difference a day makes. Today, hunger-wise, was a completely different experience from yesterday. (Or maybe I should say cravings-wise.)

After eating my extra delicious turkey pancake burger, I had no hunger or cravings until 7:30 PM at which time I made a protein shake with 1/2 can coconut milk, egg protein powder, and a frozen locally grown peach. It was by far the best tasting protein shake I have yet made. And it wasn't particularly peachy tasting, but there was something about the way the peach and the coconut complimented each other. . . . I could have one of those everyday and not grow tired of it.

So my faith in myself is restored and I can have it all again tomorrow. Oh happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment